.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Articles of Interest

Monday, December 06, 2004

Memory #2

It was either 1965 or 1968 and either around the month of April or June. I was in the front room of our large house. The room had a large sliding glass door looking out onto our back yard which had some grass on it but not many trees at that time. The reason I list both dates is that those were the date when I was little that major earthquakes hit Seattle. The one in 65 was registered at a 6.5 level.. and the one in 68 was a 4.6. With those numbers, I am leaning toward the idea that it occurred in 65 even though I would have only been 3 at the time.

As the house began to shake and move, I remember my mom calling me over to the sliding glass doors. We stood just to the side of the doors, but close enough that we could look outside. She bent over me and held me close as we watched the land outside move.

There were actually ripples in the ground; waves of grass moving toward the house. I had no fear and there were no major sounds that usually accompany earthquakes.

Other things I remember about that moment was that mom was thin.. and had dark hair. Two things that didn’t happen very often as I was growing up. She had some type of cotton shirt on and peddle pushers with loafers on her feet.

Amazing what you can remember from just 3 years of age.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home